Friday, January 1, 2016

A New Beginning



My New Year's Resolution is to start and maintain a blog. Let's face it, the truth is that I have started several blogs--and then never returned to them! This time I'm serious. I have things to say and share and I want to be faithful to do so.

After much thought, I have decided that this blog will focus on the things I truly love: Books, Food, Animals, and Kids. I plan to post every Friday. Here is my basic design:

First, because I love to read, I will be sharing reviews of the books I read. I will be honest in my criticism, although I realize that books become real and personal to different individuals, so the ones I love or hate may not be the same for you. But you will know where I stand anyway. Since I am an author, I will share updates on my books and those works in progress. I will also interview and share books by new authors that I meet and like. I just love it when my friends and I love the same books and authors! Our conversations are peppered with bits and pieces of stories we enjoy.

Second, I enjoy food. I love to cook, but more than that, I love to collect recipes. I will on occasion share a recipe or two that I love. I have been living without a kitchen since September, so I am anxious to get into my new kitchen and experiment! My husband, who is my contractor, is a do-it-yourself type of guy. His talents have saved us a lot of money, which has allowed me to purchase much nicer equipment than if we had contracted this project. I cannot wait to have it installed! You probably don't want to hear about the recipes I have invented using my makeshift kitchen (which consists of a crock pot, an electric skillet, a toaster oven and a hot plate). Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners were quite a challenge! But the future looks bright. I'll keep you posted.

Third, I love animals. At this present time, I have a dog named Indie (who is fifteen, part Golden Retriever and part Basset Hound), and two cats, Rocket and Patches. A year ago I gave away my horse because I could no longer afford to board her, but I am still a horse person. I grew up dreaming about horses. I drew them, I rode them, I adored them. Although I no longer have a horse of my own, I still enjoy writing stories for children that include horses. At this date, I have three picture books whose main characters are horses, and one middle grade novel about a girl who loves wild horses. I also have two children's coloring books published about horses. I have several other books, all of which are available in some retail stores on the east coast and on Amazon.com. Because of my love for these animals, I am particularly passionate about saving the wild horses of our world, including those in Louisiana, North Carolina, the Bahamas, and of course, the western United States. It is in my blood. So be prepared for a few articles about these magnificent creatures that have been a part of history since the beginning of time.

Fourth, I love children. I spent many years as a teacher, beginning as a high school history teacher, moving down to middle school, then elementary school and ending as a college professor. Children have been an integral part of my life. As a mother (who home schooled) and grandmother, I am always looking for ways to make my children's lives richer. I will share both my ideas and my experiences.

To sum it all up: If you are a reader who loves to eat, has a passion for a special cause and wants to keep up with the kids in your life, follow along with me as I post throughout the year. I think you will learn something new and even enjoy what I have to share!

1 comment: